Saturday, July 24, 2010

Day 1 with the Circus



Today is my first full day of work here in Taiwan. I arrived in Taipei on Thursday afternoon after an epic journey from Vancouver to Shanghai, where I spent the night in a hotel. And then a quick flight from Shanghai to Montreal.

Shanghai was interesting and I would like to go back, but I am happy to be in Taiwan, where life seems to be a little more open, and colorful.



Taiwan people are very happy, and I feel like I am in a cartoon. Everything is brightly colored, and miniature... even the cargo trucks. We are staying in Luodong which is on the North East tip of Taiwan. It is a bustling city and we are staying in a temple.


I really feel as though I am traveling with the circus. We are 8 circus artists from all over the world, working intensely together. The work has been divided among us in order to create several numbers for 2 weeks of performing in the street, on the stage, and as the central focus of a parade. The theme is monkeys and there is a whole team of sculptural artists here from the czech republic creating giant monkey characters for the parade.



I am very happy and enjoying every moment of this. It is an honor to work with such talented artists. We had a showing and sharing today of talents, it was one great act after another: contact juggling, clowning, contorsion, poi, hooping, breakdancing, fire dancing and on and on it went.

We will be working with 14 teams 25 people from the local community, developing choreography with them and creating props for them to use. It is wonderful to be able to connect with the local culture.



Last night Michele and I performed at the Dream Community in Taipei. It was a once in a lifetime experience to be welcomed into this local community to perform with fire for a very enthusiastic audience. At the end of the evening they had all the children on stage, with Michele and I performing with our LED Hoops just in front with a Jazz Band playing live in the back. I looked around and thought to myself, WOW, I am so lucky to be here!

2 comments:

  1. Ein fabelhaftestes und aufregendstes abenteuer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful.....amazing!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete