Friday, March 27, 2009

hoopDANCE!

I performed tonight at the last ever Concordia Contemporary Dance Cabaret. I have been part of the dance program for three years but never had the chance to perform at the Cabaret because I always teach my wonderful Friday night Hoop Class at the Y. It was the last one so I decided to make the trek out to NDG.

Wow, I was so impressed! The performances were excellent, and I received some really great feedback from the contemporary dance crowd.

I am working on a new piece at the moment with Classical Guitarist Etienne Simard. We have been rehearsing for a month and will be presenting a show next Saturday at Rad'a. At the Cabaret I presented an excerpt. Unfortunately, Etienne could not be there so I performed to the recorded version of the piece he will play.

It was interesting how different it is to hoopdance to the recording than with a live musician. I feel like the live musical exchange really opens up my dance. Even though my dance is choreographed, it unravels in an endless spiral when I perform it with Etienne. It feels much more alive to be able to converse with a musician through my hoop. With the recording I felt very bound to the choreography and set movements as if there was no room for endless flow. I recommend to all the hoopers out there...if you can hoop with live musicians it is ideal! A guitarist, a drummer, a scratchmaster...whatever music you fancy, just be sure it's something than can be manipulated in response to your dance. Through this collaboration I have found new dynamics in my movement with the hoop.

All the theatre and dance students were dazzled and they all want to try hooping now. Hooray for the growing hoop community!

No comments:

Post a Comment